Friday, December 2, 2011

My Christmas table, full of DIY treats!

Hello friends, it's Friday! Christmas is on it's way! I'm pretty much finished with all my decorating, and I want to show you my dining table first.

Lets look first, then I'll tell you all about my DIY projects on the table.








Okay, the paper wreath was inspired by this project from Ruche. I think that it was pretty easy, just a little time consuming, but it can definitely be done! It was supposed to be a wreath but it looks more like a flower...oops.


Over the summer I bought some amazing striped candles from a boutique in Greenville. They were a little on the expensive side, but I bought them anyway because I couldn't find them anywhere else. Well, "someone" broke one, and after a little brainstorming, I came up with a cheaper solution. I bought two tapered candles from Hobby Lobby, used frog tape and taped stripes around it. I spray painted the areas that didn't have tape. It worked perfectly!  Love a good successful DIY project!




This "wood" vase was brown for a long time. I loved the texture but the color was just too dark. Spray painted it gold, and now it pops out so much more! I love the gold against the wood texture of the vase.


I saved my favorite DIY for last. My chevron table runner. I hated making it, but it was so worth it in the end. I searched and searched for the perfect table runner, but just couldn't find the right colors. Solution? Make my own, of course! I bought some white canvas type fabric, cut it into two long strips. I DO NOT sew, so I used iron on hemming. You can find that in just about any home fabric, Hobby Lobby type store. Made a stencil (see below) and painted it with gold printmaking fabric paint. Also easy to find.  A week later (yeah I procrastinated) it was done. 


So there you have it, the story of my Christmas table, my favorite yet. 
Hope you found some good ideas.

Other suggestions, shop Goodwill's, and antiques stores, that's where I found my plates,  deer candle holders, and white vase.

Have a great weekend!!!

4 comments:

Dana Frieling said...

Great ideas! Your table runner is beautiful. Definitely worth your time and effort!

Samantha said...

Love the DIY runner.

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Oh my gosh a DIY chevron runner?? I am obsessed. And the candles are amazing. Such wonderful projects!! I don't sew either so it's wonderful to hear of other solutions!

Holly Gruszka said...

That runner is awesome and the right idea when you can't find something you love whip up something you KNOW you'll love. I'll have to keep that in mind. I've also seen those striped candles recently as well - I really love those.